Magic memories : a walk down memory game : a game for two or more players
Often people in early stages of dementia lose their short-term memory but their ability to reminisce can be extraordinary.
The game was designed as a simple aid to reminiscence groups which is not competitive and can be played in a variety of situations. It's ideal for families or co-ordinators of residential and community based settings.
The Attainments Company have published sets of flash cards which can be the basis of mental fitness programs for seniors and for people who have early dementia.
- 100 sturdy cards and an instruction booklet on the best way to use the cards.
- suggests the reminiscing of individual senses by reading the card which then encourages discussion.
- Example of a card that suggests all the senses (in large print).
- Think back to your childhood. Who was your favourite relative or friend to visit? Did he or she make you special things to eat with unique smells? What kind of music was playing when you visited? Did you just play and visit?
- Each Mental Fitness card has a short task to complete that will sharpen the mind- many amazing yet simple ideas that make not only good activity ideas but are great common sense!
- These sets make great activity programs for recreation staff, carers and group leaders.
Lauretta Kaldor is a diversional therapist who has been writing manuals for leisure staff working in aged care for the last 18 years.
Expand your mind cards
Sharpen your senses cards
by Kristin Einberger and Jo Reynolds
Improve mental fitness using the five senses! Sharpen Your Senses Cards concentrate on the five senses. Users imagine, reminisce, evaluate, guess, and describe their responses to each question. These activity cards are the perfect tool for using the senses to keep the brain active! Great for large or small adult groups of all ages, or for individuals seeking to improve mental fitness. Facilitator's booklet gives suggestions and additional activities. Developed by author and memory loss specialist Kristin Einberger. Boxed set includes 120 laminated 4 inch x 6 inch cards in six categories, instructions and facilitator's booklet.
Activity staff in community programs, adult day centers, assisted living communities, or long-term care settings will find the cards useful and engaging for both large and small groups. Individuals can enjoy Sharpen Your Senses Cards independently, and children can easily participate in intergenerational activities with them.