This presentation is an introduction to the national culture change movement and the Pioneer Network. It includes a brief review of the Eden Alternative, the Regenerative Community, Bathing Without a Battle, and the Neighborhood, Household and Green House models. Outcomes from leading Pioneer homes are described, as well as success stories of changing the institutional culture without spending any money. Embracing culture change over the aging services continuum, national and state initiatives, and resources available are also shared.
Artifacts of Culture Change is a culture change measurement tool designed to help organizations document the concrete changes they are making to “create home” and find out how “culture changed” they’ve become. Learn how to use the Artifacts tool, and become aware of culture change practices that may not have been considered as you shift your focus from institutional to individual.
NOTE: Before you watch PART II, includes the Artifacts of Culture Change document and have everyone fill it out as they watch the presentation!
Explore ideas on how to soften the institutional assessment process. Experience ways you can really get to know someone “over coffee” instead of “over a form.” Think through meaningful questions we should be asking including what someone would need to know about you now to care for you later. Determining “highest practicable level of well-being” as required by Tag 279 is covered, as well as a review of federal assessment and care planning requirements. Be exposed to “I care planning,” narrative care planning and Visual Information Profiles – the latest in changed care practices. Relearn how to put the person in the “driver’s seat of their lives” and actually use the federal requirements as a best practice.
- Make it a part of new staff orientation
- Use it with resident and family councils
- Use it as an opportunity to start a “Culture Change Team”
- Bring together staff, residents and family members and fill out the Artifacts of Culture Change: An Organizational Readiness and Assessment Tool as a group
- Build community and foster relationships as you work together to create an expanded vision for your organization
- Create a “movie screening event” and invite all staff, families, residents and the greater community to come together